"The Hill"

"The Hill"
"The Hill": Ecological Catastrophe - Transforming to Native Splendor

Monday, May 29, 2017

They're Just "Guidelines"

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Spanish Lavender (Lavendula stoechas)
Both hailing from the Mediterranean.
Both found growing on the hill- some of the more platable plants...
 Will they stay or go under the guidelines?
TBD....

Flashback to just a few posts ago when I said “rules” would not be imposed, this is not a “challenge.”  I am going to help grow and develop and see what happens.  Now I am going to slightly back pedal on previous statements and say I will establish “guidelines.”  I probably shouldn’t follow the logic, “that looks pretty, it stays until I get to it, I don’t like that it goes now” as I determine how to slowly repatriate the hill with natives.  That logic is reminiscent of practices that may have got us here to begin with.  These “guidelines” will provide some structure to prioritize a first round of plants into the “impending eradication” and “needs nurturing” categories.  I am sure there will still be a BUNCH of plants still hanging out, but at least they will be lower risk “weeds” and maybe even natives!

The first investigation of the Pepper Tree Gang was fun and interesting.  I discovered what the gangs were, but more importantly I found resources to help with the classification process!  Yeah!  These resources are my new “guidelines.”

Noxious Weeds- as determined by the California Department of Food and Agriculture- are plants that are a threat to our silviculture, agriculture or important native species.  These plants are usually difficult to control and eradicate.  Noxious weeds are illegal to bring into the state and the state classifies them to prioritize state-wide eradication efforts.  Noxious weeds are the really bad guys, they were always “weeds.” I don’t see many, if any, landscape escapees.

For the hill guidelines, noxious weeds will be sentenced to “impending eradication.”

California Invasive Plant Council helps determine Invasive Plants

Cal-IPC is not a lawmaking organization, but they weigh in when asked by those that do make laws.  The Cal-IPC protects California’s land and water from ecologically-damaging plants through science, education, and policy.  Their recommendations are not law and the plants they list can still be sold and planted in California.  California law aside, the Cal-IPC works with landscaping organizations and consumers through the PlantRight and Don’t Plant a Pest initiatives to prevent planting and promote removing species determined to be invasive.  Their landscaping recommendations are summarized in Invasive Plant Checklist for California Landscaping:

For the hill guidelines, plants listed by Cal-IPC will be sentenced to “impending eradication.” 

The last gem I found was from the organization San Diego Canyonlands:

Their mission is to promote, protect, and restore the natural habitats in San Diego County’s canyons and creeks.  What a great mission to support!!  They have prepared Canyon Habitat Restoration 101 Manual a handbook for volunteers to help them during their restoration projects.  It identifies both native plants and “weeds.”  The handbook also provides instruction for removal and restoration.


The Hill is half a canyon in a way, so this resource will help me sentence plants to both “impending eradication” and “needs nurturing.” It will be exciting to feature some natives on the blog!  This resource will also be great for future planting instructions.  What a priceless find!

The resources listed so far just scratch the surface of the botanical world, but it is a start...

So Rosemary, Lavender, still don't know what to do with you in the long run, but for now you are safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dress Finale - FREEDOM!!

A Patriotic #sdfairflowerlove  I usually share the dress when it is on the way out, since I am still in a time crunch when it is on...