"The Hill"

"The Hill"
"The Hill": Ecological Catastrophe - Transforming to Native Splendor

Thursday, June 8, 2017

“The Dress” – Episode 2

#sdfairflowerlove  lives again in a new design!

Well “The Dress” lives again.  This week I petitioned to work some native plants into the design.  It was not a hard sell with the master designer extraordinaire.  Look at the intricate design on the side.  A San Diego Native plant worked that out for us, we just added some subtle orchids for added interest.

Blue Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium bellum) a member of the Iris Family
SAN DIEGO NATIVE!!


Blue Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium bellum)
 Spreads through Rhizomes, similar to its iris relatives.
It also spreads  from seeds that burst from these interesting pods once they are dried by the end of summer


I will take some time in the future to properly introduce you to the featured native beauty, Blue Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium bellum).  The cultivated zone is full of Blue Eyed Grass.  The flowers are short lived, but the seed pod is a stunner, and THE contributor to the intricate design.  I leave the seed pod on the plant until it is dried and popping open, which is probably why the cultivated zone is full of it!  It is a beauty though!


I also pulled more Mexican Feather Grass and placed it in the back "garden" area of the vignette.  The "garden" area is now a good representation of how one plant will spread in about three years. Unfortunately, the Mexican Feather Grass has been in the front cultivated zone since before my time in the house (more than 5 years).  The current spread would fill the vignette, not the look master designer extraordinaire is looking for.  So more went into the yard waste bin today.  It just takes time……...  

FLORAL DESIGNER SECRET:  We sprayed the Mexican Feather Grass with Aquanet hairspray to keep the seeds on it….  Genius! Would that work for landscapes too?  Hairspray the plants daily until I can remove them all.  AQUANET COULD SAVE THE DAY AND STOP THE INVASION!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dress Finale - FREEDOM!!

A Patriotic #sdfairflowerlove  I usually share the dress when it is on the way out, since I am still in a time crunch when it is on...