"The Hill"

"The Hill"
"The Hill": Ecological Catastrophe - Transforming to Native Splendor

Friday, June 9, 2017

Nurturing Native Investigation 2017-03: Assorted Grasses - Now a Soapbox Rant -Mexican Feather Grass

Mexican Feather Grass (Nassella teuissima)
It is easy to understand why this grass is a Pinterest Darling!
Just look at out it softens the drought resistant landscape.

Then in for a closer look around its neighborhood.....
That is A LOT of seeds!!  How can we possibly contain them all?
In this picture is just a FRACTION of the seeds produced.

Those tiny seeds...  where could they possibly grow?
A crack in a sidewalk perhaps...

Just a little bit of dirt in the road.....
Yeah, this guy is an invasive NIGHTMARE!!!


I have had a lot of focus on Mexican Feather Grass these days.  From exploring the grass on the hill and deciding it needed to go, to adding interest to a floral vignette at the Fair.  It really has highlighted the ultimate paradox of gardening.  What adds a beautiful effect, may not be virtuous. What is virtuous, may not add the beautiful effect you are seeking.   Finding the balance is the journey of gardening.  So what is a responsible gardener to do?  I am not sure I have that answer yet.  I am still very much on the "gardening journey."  But I can RANT about one ornamental (escape artist) grass.   

Mexican Feather grass (Nassella tenuissima) Where did it come from?  It is native to the southwestern United States, northern Mexico, and Argentina, but honestly…  the specimens on the hill came from my cultivated zone.  Yes, it was one plant in my backyard that spread down the hill and is even growing out of the sidewalk and literally on the road (in a small crack).  The plant in my backyard was removed, but it lives on! The sad thing is, I have more of it in the front yard too, and those plants are constantly seeding into the neighbor’s yard. It was all there when I moved in.  It was most likely planted because it is drought tolerant.  Conservation FIRST!? And you know why else it was probably planted?  It is pretty.  The neighbors with the GORGEOUS landscaping done by a PROFESSIONAL with the great website, a portfolio, and a “mission to design outdoor living space appropriate to California’s Mediterranean climate” is FULL of this grass!!  SIGH…   It is all over Pinterest….  SIGH….. It is on the main street of my town…  SIGH….

What am I to do?  Well obviously, it isn’t in line with where I want to be, but I am not able to remove it all from the cultivated zone the next time I walk out my door.  For now, my partner in life and crime and I are TRYING to remove the “flowers” (and subsequent seeds) of this guy before we see them start to fall and spread.  We also are pulling the little seedlings as they pop up.  Luckily, the seedlings come up easily.  For anyone considering planting this plant, it is NOT LOW MAINTENANCE!  It is a mess after about the first few months!  You will be picking the seeds out of every article of clothing your children own!

I have plans to remove it, and there are great alternatives I am considering:

There is a warning flag here fellow responsible gardeners!   We should be wary of plants not native to our locale that are “too good to be true.”  No water, bad soil, grows like crazy…  What happens in the has water and good soil scenario?  Does it grow better than crazy? 

We also need to look for patterns.  Many of the listed invasive plants come from environments “harsher” than San Diego.  An environment “harsher” that 60-80 degrees year-round and a coastal fog drip?  Well that is most the world, so it is tough to discern just on that criteria, but we should be aware of it. 

What is the spreading profile of the plant?  Rhizomes, seeds in the wind, runners, vegetative, animal poop?  It is good to research these things BEFORE we bring home that new, great, GORGEOUS, ornamental that caught our eye and we purchased on an impulse. 

We also need to consider the "disposal" of plants.  Suspect invasive plant materials should not be put in home compost piles unless you are REALLY composting, meaning the pile reaches 130-170 °F for at least 3 days to render the seeds DEAD.  Municipal composting (yard waste bin pickup) are experts on getting rid of seeds and pathogens!  They do restrict palm fronds, succulents, and ice plant, but don’t speak to invasive plants such as Mexican feather grass.
 
I am not against the cultivation of interesting plants, but as we cultivate we need to consider the plants through their life cycle, and their progeny’s life cycle as well.  Unfortunately, organizations such as the California Invasive Plant Council can't list a plant until the invasion has occurred.   As responsible gardeners, we can be the front line against invasive plants by researching plants before we buy them, and correcting any gardening mishaps before the neighborhood is covered in the next emerging invasive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dress Finale - FREEDOM!!

A Patriotic #sdfairflowerlove  I usually share the dress when it is on the way out, since I am still in a time crunch when it is on...