"The Hill"

"The Hill"
"The Hill": Ecological Catastrophe - Transforming to Native Splendor

Monday, May 22, 2017

What is "The Plan???"

The Vision- dated May 2017- Subject to change without notice!



I have been asked about “the plan.”  My partner in life and crime, my sweetheart who does much of the heavy lifting, is especially interested in this aspect of the endeavor.  Do I really have a plan?  Well I have a sketch and a wish list.  I have a 10-year time frame.  Beyond that, I don’t.  I will admit, at this point I am in information gathering and sharing mode.  Let’s be honest.  It is “May Gray” right now.  It has been a milder spring than usual, but any day that could change.  Planting season has ended.  Weeding and mulching season is upon us.

First I plan on figuring what is on the hill. 

What do I have to work with?  How bad is it?  What will it REALLY take to turn it around?  Honestly, I have spent more time on the hill since starting this journey than in the past 5 years.  The situation needs some serious assessment.  The soil ranges from clay to sand, that needs some serious mapping.  

What plants do I need to remove?  How can I keep them from coming back?  This is a great year to answer this question.  There was lots of rain this winter.  Last year the hill didn’t seem so “weedy.” I am sure there were dormant seeds just waiting for the right conditions.  They have presented themselves and I will find them and deal with them.

What plants can I show some love to?  I am hopeful there are a couple natives, the scrappy ones, that have repopulated themselves in this deeply disturbed area.  We shall see.  Even a couple would be great!


And what about the gophers?  SIGH….  The gophers….  I will get to them….

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dress Finale - FREEDOM!!

A Patriotic #sdfairflowerlove  I usually share the dress when it is on the way out, since I am still in a time crunch when it is on...